James A. DiPerna, D.M.D.
Dr. James A. DiPerna has been practicing periodontics and placing dental implants for over 30 years. After completing a Bachelor of Science degree in Chemistry at Allegheny College, he received his Doctor of Dental Medicine degree from the University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine and his post-doctoral training in periodontics and dental implants at the University of Pennsylvania.
While at Penn, he received Branemark Prosthetic and Surgical Certification. Dr. DiPerna is also a graduate of the Misch Implant Institute, which is world-renowned for dental implant training of graduate dentists. He is board certified in Periodontics and Dental Implant Surgery and is a Diplomate of the International Congress of Oral Implantologists. Dr. DiPerna is also a Fellow of the American College of Dentists which is the oldest national honorary organization for dentists.
While at the University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine, Dr. DiPerna was accepted into the Omicron Kappa Upsilon National Dental Honor Society and maintains a current membership. He also received the Certificate of Merit in Periodontics from Quintessence Publishing Company. Dr. DiPerna also completed a summer fellowship through the St. George Oral Cancer Society at Presbyterian University Hospital (now UPMC Presbyterian) in the Department of Radiation Oncology.
Currently, Dr. DiPerna is a Clinical Instructor of Dental Medicine in the Dental Medicine Residency Program at Allegheny General Hospital. He lectures on topics such as gingival grafting, crown elongation, bone grafting, interdisciplinary care and dental implants.
In addition to teaching commitments, Dr. DiPerna remains engaged in continued and extensive training of current techniques to provide patients with state of the art care, procedures, and equipment in the constantly advancing field of periodontics and dental implants. He also has administered study clubs for sharing new information with referring general dentists and specialists, including the current Spear Study Club along with Drs. Foronda and Hay. Dr. Foronda and Dr. Hay focus on providing optimal care for their patients through proper communication and coordination of treatment with patients, referring dentists and specialists. Areas of interest include:
- Latest techniques for treatment of “gum disease” including “non-surgical” periodontal treatment(s)
- All forms of gingival (gum) grafting (including Alloderm and the Pinhole Surgical Technique)
- Cosmetic and functional crown lengthening
- Pre-and Post-orthodontic periodontal treatment
- Bone grafting for dental implant placement including the use of piezoelectric surgery
- Multiple implant systems training of most major dental implant companies
- The use of adult orthodontic treatment in obtaining ideal periodontal and implant treatment outcomes
- 3D “Cone Beam” scanning technology
Dr. DiPerna is a past president of the Pittsburgh Academy of Periodontology and maintains active membership in the following organizations:
- American Academy of Periodontology
- Pennsylvania Society of Periodontists
- Pittsburgh Academy of Periodontology
- American College of Dentists
- American Dental Association
- Dental Society of Western Pennsylvania
- Academy of Osseointegration
- International Congress of Oral Implantologists
- Omicron Kappa Upsilon National Dental Honor Society
- Spear Study Club